Throwback Thursday-“Whiskey, Its Fruits and Its Friends”

Judge W.W. Graves

Judge W.W. Graves

From the Eddie Herrman Archives

April 9

1863-J.N. Durand, first Postmaster of Prairie City, is killed by bushwhackers between Prairie City and Butler.

1869-A severe windstorm damages roofs, chimneys, and buildings in Butler.  Wilson & Pyle’s sign from their store on South Main is blown across the square.

1886-Elder J. B. Hughes, of Kansas City, delivers a lecture on “Whiskey, its fruits and its friends” at the Butler Christian Church.

1887-Amos Satterlee purchases the livery stable of Jack Cornelisen, Adrian.

1906Judge Walter Washington Graves, of Butler, is appointed to fill a Missouri Supreme Court vacancy. (He will serve 12 years)

1945-Today is “Skip Day” at the Rich Hill High School and 38 students charter a bus to go to Joplin and attend a carnival.

 

The Wall Drugstore on Main Street in Adrian.

The Wall Drugstore on Main Street in Adrian.

April 10

1857-Captain John B. Newberry moves from Papinville to Deepwater township and becomes a captain in the Missouri Militia.

1867-The town plat for Hudson City is presented to the Bates County Court by Judge Charles Robards, in Hudson township, West 1/2 of lot 5, section 3.

1903-Sam Walls has sold his drug store, in Adrian, to Woods & Wise.  He will be moving to Butler.

1907-Carrie Nation, the temperance firebrand, is late arriving in Adrian, from Butler, and the welcoming committee doesn’t wait to welcome her.

1912-The Hume Lodge of Mystic Workers initiate 40 new members into the ranks.

1941-Appraisal of the 41, 844 acre Scully estate begins, under contract by the US government.

1942-486 books, donated to the Victory Book Campaign in Bates Co., are at the Butler Library, packed, and ready for shipping to military bases.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Throwback Thursday-Bloodied Noses, Rattletraps, and a Nuisance of an Outhouse

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

The old Crescent Hill Church with the foundation of the new church in the foreground.  Taken from the book: "Adrian: Our Home Town 1880-1980".

The old Crescent Hill Church with the foundation of the new church in the foreground. Taken from the book: “Adrian: Our Home Town 1880-1980”.

February 19

1858-William T.W. Elmore and John M. Rogers have surveyed and platted the new town of Union Town (Crescent Hill), in the East center of section 21, of Deer Creek township.

1869-B.F. Hopkins, awakened by his barking dogs, finds an infant girl in a basket on his doorstep.  3 miles East of Hudson City.

1906-The Bates County Court hires George Bright as the superintendent for the County Poor Farm.

1920-H.C. Hyatt has sold his 400 acre farm southeast of Adrian to J.A. Harrison for $53,000.

1944-Otto Kircher, chairman of the 4th War Bond Drive of Bates County, is notified that the county has reached the $330,887.75 mark in the sales of bonds and stamps.

1993-The population of Ballard is 18.

A mural depicting General Jo Shelby painted by Richard Carter on display at the Bates County Museum.

A mural depicting General Jo Shelby painted by Richard Carter on display at the Bates County Museum.

February 13

1869-A steamboat unloads 500 barrels of salt at Belvoir, 20 miles south of Butler.

1874-A Mr. Perron of Fort Scott nearly drowns in the Miami Creek as he tries to flee from the Bates County Sheriff with a stolen team and wagon.

1885-The County Grand Jury condemns the rattletrap of a County Jail and declares the outhouse in the Courthouse to be a nuisance.

1886-A riot on North Main Street bloodies a lot of noses and reputations at an exhibition to see Henry Triby give a grand performance at the skating rink.

1897-General Jo Shelby, reputed to be the only Confederate general to never surrender, dies at his farm in Elkhart township.

1938-The February issue of the national magazine School Musician has on the cover a photograph of Victor Mahan of Butler High School in his band uniform.

Throwback Thursday-It’s Coffee Day

 

 

The Radford Livery Stable on West Ohio Street in Butler.  (Corner Hardware Location)

The Radford Livery Stable on West Ohio Street in Butler. (Corner Hardware Location)

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

January 22

1861-Captain Thomas B. Cummings, of Johnstown, and his Border Guard meet Captain Warren’s Kansas-Cass troops who surrender to the Home Guard near West Point.

1906-After two weeks of repair and four weeks without street lights,  the Butler Light Plant gets back to generating electricity.

1910-Dode Worley is elected Police Chief of Mulberry.

1940-A spectacular blaze levels Noe’s Drug and Jewelry store on the North side of the square. Also damaged is the Lewis store in the Horn Building and Carolyn’s Dress Shop in the Arnold Building.

1945-Mrs. Esther Edwards has moved her Dr. Pepper bottling plant from North Main St. to the newly decorated building on North Delaware St.

1951-It’s “Coffee Day” at any Butler restaurant and café in Butler. Half of all the proceeds goes to the March of Dimes.

Interior Shot of Noe's Drug Store before the fire.

Interior Shot of Noe’s Drug Store before the fire.

 

Noe's Drug Store after a fire in 1940.

Noe’s Drug Store after a fire in 1940.

 

January 23

1816-By an act of the Territorial Legislature, the area between the Missouri River and the Marias des Cygnes River is made a part of Howard County.

1880-M.S. Cowles & Company take arrival of a fine, new safe but the combination was lost during travel.

1885-A special social hop is held at the W. J. Bard mansion near Vinton. A fantastic supper is served at midnight.

1885-Butler night watchman, John Dickerson, arrests Charles Simmons, who was full of  “bug juice” and waves a large pruning knife at the officer. Fined $59.19.

1906-L.S. Radford completes a large addition to his Ohio Street livery barn, making it the biggest in the county. (Corner Hardware location)

1924-The legendary, world renowned Blind Boone & Company appears in the Hume High School auditorium.

1949-Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Oberwether return to Butler from Washington D. C.  where they attended the inauguration of President Harry S. Truman.

 

 

John Jurgen Dykman-With God’s Help

John Jurgen Dykman

John Jurgen Dykman’s graduation photo. 1917.

 

John Jurgen Dykman was born on 16 March 1895 in a sod house in Nebraska to Henry K and Helena Dykman.  In October of that same year, the family traveled by covered wagon to Missouri and settled near Mulberry in Bates County.

John attended the Mulberry school and then Amoret High School where he played on the basketball team.  Since Amoret didn’t have a four- year high school, John attended Butler High School his senior year.  He records in his diary;

Be it resolved on this 19 Day of June in the yr. of Our Lord Nineteen Sixteen That I (John Dykman) having completed a three yr. High School course will go on to school another yr. and complete the High School if Health and good luck allow me to, with God’s help. J.J. Dykman“.

While in Butler, John boarded and worked at the Cottage Hotel.  True to his word, he became a graduate of Butler High School on 17 May 1917.  The following Monday he went to work at the Amoret Bank as a teller.

 

Amoret State Championship Basketball team 1916 Back row l-r Leo

The Amoret State Championship Basketball Team of 1916. John Dykman is in the front row on the right.

 

On 2 March 1918 John records in his diary;

But in the spring of 1917 I had to register the 5 day of May and my order no. was 193.  This putting me in the first draft.  The first boys leaving in the fall but I got off until Feb. 4, 1918 when I have to report for duty at Butler, Mo. at 3 o’clock PM”.

John left Bates County  for the Officer’s Training Camp at Camp Funston located at Fort Riley Kansas.

On 11 March 1918 a cook at Camp Funston by the name of Albert Gitchell reported for sick call with complaints of a headache, sore throat, cough and high fever.  By noon that day 107 other men reported the same symptoms.  Thus, what would become known as the Spanish Flu Epidemic had begun. The epidemic would go on to kill an estimated 20-50 million people worldwide.

On 26 March 1918 it would claim John Jurgen Dykman, making him one of Bates County’s first casualties of World War I.

Henry Dykman kept the cancelled check he used to pay for his son's funeral.  Dykman collection. Bates County Museum

Henry Dykman kept the cancelled check he used to pay for his son’s funeral. Dykman collection. Bates County Museum

Obituary for John Dykman from the March 28, 1918 edition of The Bates County Democrat.

Obituary for John Dykman from the March 28, 1918 edition of The Bates County Democrat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-A New Weathervane and Underage Drivers

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

The American Clothing House Daylight Store Advertisement circ

 

January 15

1882-A meeting is held in Butler to try and persuade Dr. Lee of Kansas to build his insane asylum here.

1895-The new Bank of Merwin opens with Asa Rosier, president; J. W. Hartman, vice-president; and Capt. J. C. Martin, cashier.  They are awaiting the 8,000 pound, burglar-proof safe they’ve ordered.

1907-The masquerade party at the Armory Hall is a success.  Butler. (Second floor of current Corner Hardware building).

1914-Bert Claunch has purchased the Square Deal Meat Market from W. J. Bullock and will take charge the 19th.

1918-The Hume branch of the National Surgical Dressing Committee makes its 6th shipment of 1,367 pieces.

1920-The American Clothing House, The Daylight Store,  is having a New Spring Goods Sale, up to 20% off.  (Present day Palace Building, first floor).

1935-The Butler City Council instructs City Marshal Ross Williams to stop all children under age 16 from driving cars on Butler streets.

 

Tintype of Asa Rosier.  Date unknown.

Tintype of Asa Rosier. Date unknown.

 

 

January 16

1855-The new Postmaster for West Point is Willis Feeley.

1872-The Great Western Hotel is undergoing thorough repairs under the supervision of J. J. Galoway.  Mr. Metcalf relinquished possession yesterday and is the new host of the Pickett House. (The Great Western was located on the Northwest corner of the Butler square.  El Dorado is currently occupies the lot.)

1884-Old Walnut, West of Foster, is experiencing weekly fires, as the business is decreasing as the new town of Foster is booming.

1895-Miss Anna C Hannah, daughter of Captain and Mrs. J. W. Hannah, owner of the Palace Hotel in Butler, is married to Charles Ross at the Butler Presbyterian Church, Dr. J. H. Miller , of Rich Hill, officiating.  A sumptuous reception is held at the hotel banquet room.

1901-The Kansas City Southern’s new eating stop is the Morley House Hotel in Merwin, so report the Merwin Mirror newspaper.

1905-Mr. W. B. Wrightman is the new station agent at the Kansas City Southern Railroad depot at Hume.

1928-The four new 500 watt bulbs, and the weather vane, put up by W. H. Hood, atop the Courthouse dome are drawing a lot of attention.

 

Carinda (right) and Anna (left) Hannah, daughter of John W. and Jennie (Willey) Hannah.

Carinda (right) and Anna (left) Hannah, daughter of John W. and Jennie (Willey) Hannah.

John Wesley and Jennie Hannah and family.  Photo courtesy of descendant, Pamela Wehr.

John Wesley and Jennie Hannah and family. Photo courtesy of Pamela Wehr.

 

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-Fresh Bivalves and Robber Barons

 

Missour Pacific Railroad Depot in Rich Hill by moonlight

The Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot in Rich Hill by moonlight. Date unknown.

 

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

January 8

1871-An ad in the Bates County Record states “Fresh bivalves (clams) served any hour, day or night” at the Pickett Hotel dining room.

1874-Mr. Rose moves his mill from on the Miami Creek to the Marais des Cygnes River 2 miles south of Bell’s Mill.

1885-The Confederate Vet Association of Bates County meets in the courthouse, P. Hackett, president.

1920-Lloyd Graves is the new manager of the Western Union Telegraph office  in Butler.

1937-About 7 a.m. several railroad cars are derailed south of Rich Hill, near Arthur, delaying trains into Rich Hill.

1973-The first baby born in the Bates County Memorial Hospital in 1973, is Cathrine Leslie Scott to Mr. & Mrs. John Scott of Adrian.  Attending physician is Dr. Curtis W. Long of Butler.

The Fraternal Inn building also know as the Hotel Pennell and the Inn Building circa 1920.

The Fraternal Inn building also know as the Hotel Pennell and the Inn Building circa 1920.

January 9

1882-Financier and railroad magnate, Jay Gould, passes through Butler at 1:30 p.m. on his special train of five coaches.  He’s one of the owner of the Missouri Pacific railroad.

1896-Manager Sanders of the Rich Hill Opera House announces the opening day will be the 23rd with The Hoyt Comedy Troupe.  It had burned on October 14, 1895.

1908-Rudolph Talbott opens a tailor shop in the west basement of the Hotel Pennell.

1922-In the past year of 1921, there were 42 divorces granted in Bates County.

1949Bates County is under a coating of ice and traffic is treacherous.

Interior shot of a Chautauqua being held in the Rich Hill Opera House.  Date unknown.

Interior shot of a Chautauqua being held in the Rich Hill Opera House. Date unknown.

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-Suffered By Beast and Man

Whizzo the Clown

 

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

December 18

1861-Confederate troops move toward Butler and another toward Papinville as Union troops march from Johnstown.

1879-Advertised in the Bates Co Democrat newspaper “Aaron Hart, of Levy & Company, is prepared to sell dry goods.” East side of the Butler square.

1882-William E Walton has purchased the hotel property of Dr. Lansdown, just west of the new Opera House, and expects to enlarge it. Laclede Hotel.

1899-The Bates County courthouse is condemned and the occupants begin removing equipment as the walls seem ready to fall.

1902-In the Mound items in the Butler paper; Our new mail man is punctual even when the roads are horrid. A minstrel troupe is selling patent medicine and is doing well at Passaic. AND is Mount Olive church going to have a Christmas tree? Passaic is having one.

1915-The annual meeting of the Border Protective Association is held at the Hume Opera House, J. Gasaway, president.

1955-The first sermon is preached in the new church building of the Amsterdam Baptist Church, James A York, pastor.  Materials from the old church building and old school building were used.

1965-Whizzo, the clown, of Kansas City television, appears at King Arthur’s Bargain Barn in Butler.

December 19

1848-Southeastern Bates County is reeling from the six weeks of continuous sleet and the conditions with it.  Cattle are dying and many broken bones have been suffered by beast and man

1859-Jim, in the care of Harvey G. Hicklin, in Northwest Vernon County, slips away a during the night goes to John Brown’s fort, just west of Bates County’s Spy Mound, in Kansas. He tells Brown the slaves in his neighborhood were soon to be taken to Texas for sale and implores Brown to intervene.

1869-Daniel Cowan Jacking, owner/proprietor of the general mercantile business in Hudson City, dies in his sleep. (Hudson City was located in the northeast portion of section two in Hudson township)

1873-Someone puts arsenic in feed at the Crayton Owen farm, near Altona, poisoning 110 head of cattle and horses. Several die.

1883-Mrs. Ella Leabo, formerly Miss Ella Yoakum, apparently drowns herself in the family well near Foster. (See last week’s post for more details regarding this case.)

1890-One of the Cheverton Bros. Meat Market turkeys sails through one of their heavy plate glass windows this morning.  The Brothers say “this proves their meat is fresh.”

1896-When the Butler Masons enter their hall tonight, they find two gasoline chandeliers have been installed by Brother Morrison of Rich Hill, at a cost of $15 each. It is much brighter.

1932-Butler Mayor Frank Holland calls on the Butler banks to close for 30 days to readjust their distressed condition.  The Farmers Bank, Peoples Bank, and Duvall Trust Company do it.

 

The Farmers Bank on the east side of the Butler Square.  It was built in 1888 and torn down in 1919.  The Catterlin house can be seen on the left of the bank.  Security Bank is presently in this location.

The Farmers Bank on the east side of the Butler Square. It was built in 1888 and torn down in 1919. The Catterlin house can be seen on the left of the bank. Security Bank is presently in this location.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-A Deadly Charivari

Inside Levy's Store

 

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

1851-A convocation of Master Masons is held at Balltown, Bates Co. and organize Osage Lodge #303, AF & AM.

1858-At the charivari for newlyweds John Hamilton and Emmaline Gibson, John McWilliams is accidently shot and killed at the McWilliams place, which later became the town of Amoret.

1861-Hundreds of robbers from Kansas flood into Bates County, robbing Butler and Johnstown and everything in between,  taking hostages, horses, livestock and plunder.

1880-Samuel Levy moves his dry goods from the North side of the Butler square to the Edwards Building, on the East side, to be ready for opening on Monday morning.

1920-A large crowd attends the pie supper at the Virginia school, west of Butler, and enjoy the play “Out in the Street”.  $32.18 from the crowd goes to buying a large bell.  Charlie LeFever lit the school house with free Delco lights.

1934-The City Oil & Gas Co., of Butler, has installed the latest in gas pumps. This one measures fractions of gasoline pumped. The uptown station only.

1942-Edward Larkey celebrates his 99th birthday at his home near Merwin.  He is thought to be the last Civil War veteran in Bates County.