Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives
1861-Captain Thomas B. Cummings, of Johnstown, and his Border Guard meet Captain Warren’s Kansas-Cass troops who surrender to the Home Guard near West Point.
1906-After two weeks of repair and four weeks without street lights, the Butler Light Plant gets back to generating electricity.
1910-Dode Worley is elected Police Chief of Mulberry.
1940-A spectacular blaze levels Noe’s Drug and Jewelry store on the North side of the square. Also damaged is the Lewis store in the Horn Building and Carolyn’s Dress Shop in the Arnold Building.
1945-Mrs. Esther Edwards has moved her Dr. Pepper bottling plant from North Main St. to the newly decorated building on North Delaware St.
1951-It’s “Coffee Day” at any Butler restaurant and café in Butler. Half of all the proceeds goes to the March of Dimes.
1816-By an act of the Territorial Legislature, the area between the Missouri River and the Marias des Cygnes River is made a part of Howard County.
1880-M.S. Cowles & Company take arrival of a fine, new safe but the combination was lost during travel.
1885-A special social hop is held at the W. J. Bard mansion near Vinton. A fantastic supper is served at midnight.
1885-Butler night watchman, John Dickerson, arrests Charles Simmons, who was full of “bug juice” and waves a large pruning knife at the officer. Fined $59.19.
1906-L.S. Radford completes a large addition to his Ohio Street livery barn, making it the biggest in the county. (Corner Hardware location)
1924-The legendary, world renowned Blind Boone & Company appears in the Hume High School auditorium.
1949-Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Oberwether return to Butler from Washington D. C. where they attended the inauguration of President Harry S. Truman.