Throwback Thursday-“Whiskey, Its Fruits and Its Friends”

Judge W.W. Graves

Judge W.W. Graves

From the Eddie Herrman Archives

April 9

1863-J.N. Durand, first Postmaster of Prairie City, is killed by bushwhackers between Prairie City and Butler.

1869-A severe windstorm damages roofs, chimneys, and buildings in Butler.  Wilson & Pyle’s sign from their store on South Main is blown across the square.

1886-Elder J. B. Hughes, of Kansas City, delivers a lecture on “Whiskey, its fruits and its friends” at the Butler Christian Church.

1887-Amos Satterlee purchases the livery stable of Jack Cornelisen, Adrian.

1906Judge Walter Washington Graves, of Butler, is appointed to fill a Missouri Supreme Court vacancy. (He will serve 12 years)

1945-Today is “Skip Day” at the Rich Hill High School and 38 students charter a bus to go to Joplin and attend a carnival.

 

The Wall Drugstore on Main Street in Adrian.

The Wall Drugstore on Main Street in Adrian.

April 10

1857-Captain John B. Newberry moves from Papinville to Deepwater township and becomes a captain in the Missouri Militia.

1867-The town plat for Hudson City is presented to the Bates County Court by Judge Charles Robards, in Hudson township, West 1/2 of lot 5, section 3.

1903-Sam Walls has sold his drug store, in Adrian, to Woods & Wise.  He will be moving to Butler.

1907-Carrie Nation, the temperance firebrand, is late arriving in Adrian, from Butler, and the welcoming committee doesn’t wait to welcome her.

1912-The Hume Lodge of Mystic Workers initiate 40 new members into the ranks.

1941-Appraisal of the 41, 844 acre Scully estate begins, under contract by the US government.

1942-486 books, donated to the Victory Book Campaign in Bates Co., are at the Butler Library, packed, and ready for shipping to military bases.

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-We Never Are Ready

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

East side of the Butler square circa 1880.  M.S. Cowles Dry Goods store on the left. Photo from the Ed Robertson estate.

East side of the Butler square circa 1880. M.S. Cowles Dry Goods store on the left. Photo from the Ed Robertson estate.

March 5

1872-The Bates County Court establishes a new township in Southeast Bates County called Rockville township

1883-Sam Welsh and Milt Whiteley, who are prospecting East of Butler a few miles, strike solid rock bearing gold and silver at 84 feet.

1913-The Worland Coal Company is chartered.

1923-Radio station WNAR (We Never Are Ready) of Butler broadcasts a special radio program to Mrs. W. W. Clark of Clinton, MO between 5;30 and 6:00 PM and several of her neighbors crowd into her home to enjoy the program with her.

1945-Mr. Russell Cox has a party for the boys who have been killing sparrows for him. Those present are: Jr. Thompson, Don Grimes, Ralph Umstattd, John Umstattd, Max Hurt, Walt Pettus, Art Box, Leroy Grimes, Melvin Griffith, and Homer Gooden.

1947-For the first time in Bates County history, women’s names are called and sworn in for the jury panel  in Circuit Court. Mrs. L. D. Harper and Mrs. Edith Lincoln, of Adrian; Mrs. Elode Young of Butler, and Mrs. Laura B. Mullies of Rich Hill.

 

March 6

1820-The Missouri Compromise is passed in the United States Congress.

1862-Company C, 1st Battalion, Ohio Volunteer Cavalry camps near Butler.  Private Robert T. McMahan writes in his diary, “Butler clearly deserted building, principal ones burned down”.

1868-McClintock & Sons are erecting a woolen mill and carding machine, NE of the square, on Indiana Street. (Mill Street)

1880-M.S. Cowles & Company announce they are retiring from the dry goods business and Dr. Martin and Mr. McClintock will take over their old stand. (Present Security Bank location)

1890-The Bryant College, in Sprague, is increasing in number and enthusiasm.

1922-Rich Hillians are surprised to hear the news that a former Rich Hill Missouri Pacific Railroad station agent, William Carter, is in the Carthage, MO jail in connection with the destruction, by dynamite, of a big chat plant near Webb City, MO.

1937E.J. Kling buys the land south of the Post Office for his new monument plant.

 

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-What Can You Expect For A Quarter?

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives:

One of the original clock faces from the Courthouse. On display at the Bates County Museum.

One of the original clock faces from the Courthouse. On display at the Bates County Museum.

February 19

1870-The cage ordered by the Bates County Sheriff from St. Louis should be arriving in Butler very shortly.  It is 13 1/2 feet long and 7 feet wide.  The cost is $1,000.

1870-Bates County Sheriff Smith (W.T. Smith) takes delivery on a custom made buggy from Hale, Evans & Co.

1876-The committee on a public library for Butler makes a survey and finds a willingness of citizens to donate books and money.

1905-J. A. DeArmond resigns as Butler City Attorney and Clerk J.F. Smith is appointed.

1907-The editor of the Bates County Record says, “The new street signs are the cheapest looking signs, ever.  But what can you expect for a quarter?”

1911-Ob Keirsey , of near Ballard, is in the Spruce area and takes one of the school marms ‘sleighing’. No one else sees any snow.

1914-At the wedding of Mary Alleene Arnold of Butler and William N. Mills of K.C., the Butler Mandolin Club plays softly during the ceremony.

The Butler Mandolin Club. From the Bates County Museum Collection.

The Butler Mandolin Club. From the Bates County Museum Collection.

 

James A DeArmond

James A. DeArmond, son of Congressman David DeArmond. He was an attorney and served as mayor of Butler.

 

February 20

1870-Among the many towns in Bates County, the latest is Altona that is booming. New buildings are started every week, and it’s going to be a large town with everything anyone would need.

1876-Tom Montgomery boasts that he has the biggest cow in Bates county.  She is only seven years of age and weighs 1,695 lbs.  Who can beat it?

1881-A large crowd attends the grand masque ball at the Palace Hotel.

1895-W.B. Carrico, of Papinville, publicly declares war on tree stumps with his new style stump extractor.

1902-The Bates County Democrat newspaper reports, ” the courthouse is up and all hope it will be topped out with a town clock.”

1906-The Butler Hunting & Fishing Club is organized, Ed S. Clark president.  They have leased the Cooper Lake, near Athol, south of Butler.

1927-The newly organized Harmony Mission Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution is confirmed by the National Society. It was organized December 12, 1926.

1940-Today is opening day of Mr.& Mrs. Chester Shelton’s grocery store located in the old Ballard Bank Building, in Ballard.  20 inches of snow on the ground.

The Bryan 4-H Club outside of the grocery store owned by Chester and Goldie Shelton in Ballard.

The Bryan 4-H Club outside of the grocery store owned by Chester and Goldie Shelton in Ballard.

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-Bloodied Noses, Rattletraps, and a Nuisance of an Outhouse

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

The old Crescent Hill Church with the foundation of the new church in the foreground.  Taken from the book: "Adrian: Our Home Town 1880-1980".

The old Crescent Hill Church with the foundation of the new church in the foreground. Taken from the book: “Adrian: Our Home Town 1880-1980”.

February 19

1858-William T.W. Elmore and John M. Rogers have surveyed and platted the new town of Union Town (Crescent Hill), in the East center of section 21, of Deer Creek township.

1869-B.F. Hopkins, awakened by his barking dogs, finds an infant girl in a basket on his doorstep.  3 miles East of Hudson City.

1906-The Bates County Court hires George Bright as the superintendent for the County Poor Farm.

1920-H.C. Hyatt has sold his 400 acre farm southeast of Adrian to J.A. Harrison for $53,000.

1944-Otto Kircher, chairman of the 4th War Bond Drive of Bates County, is notified that the county has reached the $330,887.75 mark in the sales of bonds and stamps.

1993-The population of Ballard is 18.

A mural depicting General Jo Shelby painted by Richard Carter on display at the Bates County Museum.

A mural depicting General Jo Shelby painted by Richard Carter on display at the Bates County Museum.

February 13

1869-A steamboat unloads 500 barrels of salt at Belvoir, 20 miles south of Butler.

1874-A Mr. Perron of Fort Scott nearly drowns in the Miami Creek as he tries to flee from the Bates County Sheriff with a stolen team and wagon.

1885-The County Grand Jury condemns the rattletrap of a County Jail and declares the outhouse in the Courthouse to be a nuisance.

1886-A riot on North Main Street bloodies a lot of noses and reputations at an exhibition to see Henry Triby give a grand performance at the skating rink.

1897-General Jo Shelby, reputed to be the only Confederate general to never surrender, dies at his farm in Elkhart township.

1938-The February issue of the national magazine School Musician has on the cover a photograph of Victor Mahan of Butler High School in his band uniform.

Throwback Thursday-Counting Chickens

The Charles Denny store at 201 North Main Street in Butler.

The Charles Denny store at 201 North Main Street in Butler.

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

January 29

1841Bates County is officially organized.

1856-Joseph Smith is the new postmaster at Pleasant Gap.

1880-Robert Leech, one of the originators of the town of Mulberry, gives 2.2 acres for expansion of the town.

1886-Charles Denny is back in the grocery business, after rebuilding his East Side location, which was destroyed by fire on November 16, 1885.

1929-Bates County sheriff A. C. Hartley thwarts a jail break when he finds two window bars sawed through.

1945-Carl J. Henry, of Butler, is named chariman of the Bates County drive for the new state constitution.

Carl J Henry 1931 in Jefferson City

Carl J Henry in Jefferson City. Photo taken 1931.

 

January 30

1862-Captain Sydney Jackman’s Home Guard troops rout Kansas murderers from Dr. Walker’s house near Johnstown.

1862-Nickerson’s store, Lee’s store, and the dozen or so dwellings in Prairie City are burned by troops from Kansas.

1884-The cistern at the ‘poor farm’, 3 miles Northeast of Butler, is being enlarged as there are now 10 person living there.

1903-Miss Flora Frederick, a skilled osteopath, arrives from New York, to assist her sister, Dr. Harriet Frederick, in her Butler office.

1905-A gypsy woman gives birth to a baby on the sidewalk in downtown Rockville.

1920-Judge R. B. Campbell is in Butler visiting friends in the courthouse.  He has just completed the census enumeration of Pleasant Gap and says it’s some job to count all the chickens and eggs and measure the milk produced last year.

1989-Joanne Rush, president of the Butler Library Association, announces an endowment from the Robert and Virginia Heinlein Library Foundation is being established for the purpose of supporting the Butler Public Library.

Robert A Heinlein

Robert A Heinlein, the Dean of Science Fiction.

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-It’s Coffee Day

 

 

The Radford Livery Stable on West Ohio Street in Butler.  (Corner Hardware Location)

The Radford Livery Stable on West Ohio Street in Butler. (Corner Hardware Location)

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

January 22

1861-Captain Thomas B. Cummings, of Johnstown, and his Border Guard meet Captain Warren’s Kansas-Cass troops who surrender to the Home Guard near West Point.

1906-After two weeks of repair and four weeks without street lights,  the Butler Light Plant gets back to generating electricity.

1910-Dode Worley is elected Police Chief of Mulberry.

1940-A spectacular blaze levels Noe’s Drug and Jewelry store on the North side of the square. Also damaged is the Lewis store in the Horn Building and Carolyn’s Dress Shop in the Arnold Building.

1945-Mrs. Esther Edwards has moved her Dr. Pepper bottling plant from North Main St. to the newly decorated building on North Delaware St.

1951-It’s “Coffee Day” at any Butler restaurant and café in Butler. Half of all the proceeds goes to the March of Dimes.

Interior Shot of Noe's Drug Store before the fire.

Interior Shot of Noe’s Drug Store before the fire.

 

Noe's Drug Store after a fire in 1940.

Noe’s Drug Store after a fire in 1940.

 

January 23

1816-By an act of the Territorial Legislature, the area between the Missouri River and the Marias des Cygnes River is made a part of Howard County.

1880-M.S. Cowles & Company take arrival of a fine, new safe but the combination was lost during travel.

1885-A special social hop is held at the W. J. Bard mansion near Vinton. A fantastic supper is served at midnight.

1885-Butler night watchman, John Dickerson, arrests Charles Simmons, who was full of  “bug juice” and waves a large pruning knife at the officer. Fined $59.19.

1906-L.S. Radford completes a large addition to his Ohio Street livery barn, making it the biggest in the county. (Corner Hardware location)

1924-The legendary, world renowned Blind Boone & Company appears in the Hume High School auditorium.

1949-Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Oberwether return to Butler from Washington D. C.  where they attended the inauguration of President Harry S. Truman.

 

 

John Jurgen Dykman-With God’s Help

John Jurgen Dykman

John Jurgen Dykman’s graduation photo. 1917.

 

John Jurgen Dykman was born on 16 March 1895 in a sod house in Nebraska to Henry K and Helena Dykman.  In October of that same year, the family traveled by covered wagon to Missouri and settled near Mulberry in Bates County.

John attended the Mulberry school and then Amoret High School where he played on the basketball team.  Since Amoret didn’t have a four- year high school, John attended Butler High School his senior year.  He records in his diary;

Be it resolved on this 19 Day of June in the yr. of Our Lord Nineteen Sixteen That I (John Dykman) having completed a three yr. High School course will go on to school another yr. and complete the High School if Health and good luck allow me to, with God’s help. J.J. Dykman“.

While in Butler, John boarded and worked at the Cottage Hotel.  True to his word, he became a graduate of Butler High School on 17 May 1917.  The following Monday he went to work at the Amoret Bank as a teller.

 

Amoret State Championship Basketball team 1916 Back row l-r Leo

The Amoret State Championship Basketball Team of 1916. John Dykman is in the front row on the right.

 

On 2 March 1918 John records in his diary;

But in the spring of 1917 I had to register the 5 day of May and my order no. was 193.  This putting me in the first draft.  The first boys leaving in the fall but I got off until Feb. 4, 1918 when I have to report for duty at Butler, Mo. at 3 o’clock PM”.

John left Bates County  for the Officer’s Training Camp at Camp Funston located at Fort Riley Kansas.

On 11 March 1918 a cook at Camp Funston by the name of Albert Gitchell reported for sick call with complaints of a headache, sore throat, cough and high fever.  By noon that day 107 other men reported the same symptoms.  Thus, what would become known as the Spanish Flu Epidemic had begun. The epidemic would go on to kill an estimated 20-50 million people worldwide.

On 26 March 1918 it would claim John Jurgen Dykman, making him one of Bates County’s first casualties of World War I.

Henry Dykman kept the cancelled check he used to pay for his son's funeral.  Dykman collection. Bates County Museum

Henry Dykman kept the cancelled check he used to pay for his son’s funeral. Dykman collection. Bates County Museum

Obituary for John Dykman from the March 28, 1918 edition of The Bates County Democrat.

Obituary for John Dykman from the March 28, 1918 edition of The Bates County Democrat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Throwback Thursday-A New Weathervane and Underage Drivers

Courtesy of the Eddie Herrman Archives

The American Clothing House Daylight Store Advertisement circ

 

January 15

1882-A meeting is held in Butler to try and persuade Dr. Lee of Kansas to build his insane asylum here.

1895-The new Bank of Merwin opens with Asa Rosier, president; J. W. Hartman, vice-president; and Capt. J. C. Martin, cashier.  They are awaiting the 8,000 pound, burglar-proof safe they’ve ordered.

1907-The masquerade party at the Armory Hall is a success.  Butler. (Second floor of current Corner Hardware building).

1914-Bert Claunch has purchased the Square Deal Meat Market from W. J. Bullock and will take charge the 19th.

1918-The Hume branch of the National Surgical Dressing Committee makes its 6th shipment of 1,367 pieces.

1920-The American Clothing House, The Daylight Store,  is having a New Spring Goods Sale, up to 20% off.  (Present day Palace Building, first floor).

1935-The Butler City Council instructs City Marshal Ross Williams to stop all children under age 16 from driving cars on Butler streets.

 

Tintype of Asa Rosier.  Date unknown.

Tintype of Asa Rosier. Date unknown.

 

 

January 16

1855-The new Postmaster for West Point is Willis Feeley.

1872-The Great Western Hotel is undergoing thorough repairs under the supervision of J. J. Galoway.  Mr. Metcalf relinquished possession yesterday and is the new host of the Pickett House. (The Great Western was located on the Northwest corner of the Butler square.  El Dorado is currently occupies the lot.)

1884-Old Walnut, West of Foster, is experiencing weekly fires, as the business is decreasing as the new town of Foster is booming.

1895-Miss Anna C Hannah, daughter of Captain and Mrs. J. W. Hannah, owner of the Palace Hotel in Butler, is married to Charles Ross at the Butler Presbyterian Church, Dr. J. H. Miller , of Rich Hill, officiating.  A sumptuous reception is held at the hotel banquet room.

1901-The Kansas City Southern’s new eating stop is the Morley House Hotel in Merwin, so report the Merwin Mirror newspaper.

1905-Mr. W. B. Wrightman is the new station agent at the Kansas City Southern Railroad depot at Hume.

1928-The four new 500 watt bulbs, and the weather vane, put up by W. H. Hood, atop the Courthouse dome are drawing a lot of attention.

 

Carinda (right) and Anna (left) Hannah, daughter of John W. and Jennie (Willey) Hannah.

Carinda (right) and Anna (left) Hannah, daughter of John W. and Jennie (Willey) Hannah.

John Wesley and Jennie Hannah and family.  Photo courtesy of descendant, Pamela Wehr.

John Wesley and Jennie Hannah and family. Photo courtesy of Pamela Wehr.